Monday 11 April 2016

All The Things I Am Not

I was thinking lately about all the things I thought in my teens that I would do, that I wanted to do, that have turned out to be quite the opposite. There were several things and I can't be the only teenager who planned their shining future out, right? Laughably, one of mine was - have all three of my children by the time I'm 26. 

Hahaha! I had barely been going out with Rich a year then, so we weren't in a place to start a family, let alone be having a third child.

I thought it would be fun and interesting to share the things I thought I'd do...

Run a marathon
I watch the London Marathon every year. It's always seemed to me the pinnacle of achievement - you've trained, you've competed and you've completed one of the most famous races in the world! Who wouldn't want to do that?

Well, me, as it turns out. I took on a half marathon a few years ago and realised - long distance running is not for me. I'm more of a sprinter. I'd rather empty the tank in an hour's spin class than chip steadily away at 13 - let alone 26! - miles ever again. That's not to say I don't like running, I don't mind it. I've just accepted that I'm not a long distance runner and I prefer other forms of exercise. I may never have a London Marathon medal, but I also won't spend a year miserably training for it.

Build a house
I loved shows like Grand Designs and I fell in love with the idea that I could build my own house, exactly the way I wanted it. And this is a great idea - in theory. But, as it turns out, I don't care enough about it to actually invest the exorbitant amount of time and money necessary, nor am I willing to put up with the discomfort. Rich and I have decided that when we buy next year, it will be somewhere that needs decorating - renovation is a no-no!

There are other things I'd rather spend the time and money on and I'm just not game for the crazy amount of upheaval that it would entail. No thank you! One thing I like to rely on is the roof over my head!

Get married
This wasn't exactly a plan, more something that I just sort of assumed would happen. Now in a long term relationship, I realise that marriage is not something I think or worry about. I also don't particularly like that because Rich and I been together a while now people think that 'when are you getting married?' is an ok question to ask.

I'm not anti-marriage by any means and I do see the benefits, so perhaps we will in the future. But I don't feel the need to do and I certainly have no desire, should we ever do it, to spend a fortune on it. Like the house, I consider other things more worthy of my time and money.

I feel quite fond of my fifteen year old self, looking back at her to write this post. I think in some ways we're still quite alike - I probably am just as naive and idealistic - but it's nice to know that I am mature enough now to shake off my teenage expectations. What did you think you'd do that you laugh at now?

No comments:

Post a Comment