Wednesday 20 April 2016

The 100 Day Project

Yesterday was the start of the 100 Day Project, a challenge I spotted on Instagram in the morning and knew immediately I needed to take part in.

You can read more about the project here, but the jist is that you choose an action and perform it every day for 100 days. After my recent obsession with Before ThanBefore by Gretchen Rubin, I’m feeling drawn to habitual type projects at the moment.

I wish I’d heard of the challenge sooner so that I could take more time to think about what I wanted to do. But I decided to act on one of Rubin’s main points and just start – no waiting until I’d come up with the perfect idea, until I had bought all the things I needed or until I ‘had time.’

I mused on what my action would be on the way to work and I kept coming back to work. I’m in my first ever 9-5 (previously I’ve only ever worked shifts), so work is taking up a large amount of my time. I’ve been thinking lately that I want to make sure I’m getting all I can out of it – that I’m always learning, that I’m pursuing the things I’m interested in and growing in the direction I want to grow in.

So I’m going to be journaling a page a day in my bullet journal for the next hundred days. I’ve put together about 25 questions for myself so far and we’ll see what other questions my writing throws up.

Writing for me has always been the best way I know to get over things. I have a tendency to mull things over in my head for hours or days on end, but I very rarely get anywhere. It’s only when I sit down to write a to do list does it look less overwhelming; it’s only when I scribble furiously that I get anger out of my system.

I’ve never tried journaling before. I used to keep a diary, but that was more of a log of my day rather than targeted at anything in particular. I’m hoping that by setting myself a question every day and a one-page limit, it will be a wooden spoon that stirs up all sorts of interesting thoughts and avenues to pursue. You can check out my posts for this project on my Instagram page and under the hashtag I created for it - #100daysofhippyvalues.


Would love to hear if any of you are attempting this challenge and what you’re doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment