Monday 29 May 2017

Tea & Possibilities Episode 26: The Problem With Being A Knitter



INTRODUCTION

You can find me on Instagram and Twitter, as well as Ravelry. We also now have a Ravelry group!

The Best Year Ever KAL is a year long knit along which started on 1st January 2017 and will be running until 31st December 2017. You knit 4 things that bring you lots of joy and you could win a prize! 

Today's tea is Detox Infusion from M&S (which doesn't appear to be on their website, but you can find a blog review of it here) which the lovely RachelRavenclaw of The Crafty Historian podcast sent me. Thank you, Rachel! There is a tea recommendation thread in the Ravelry group.

This episode was filmed exactly a week after the Manchester bombing. I didn't feel this could go unacknowledged. This is not just happening here, this is not a one off - innocent people, children, are being killed every day, in places like Syria. Much as I want this podcast to be a place of positivity and cheerfulness, I do want to make a positive impact in the world.

I'm looking into ways in which the knitting community can reach out with love and support - if you want to join in, or if you know of any ways we can help, please let me know!


WIP'D UP!

I won't be showing this project off every week as now it's getting very warm, I'm only putting on a row here and there:

Shanghai Stripes Blanket
Pattern: Granny Stripes by Attic24
Yarn: Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran in the Steel & Stitch colourway, leftovers from my Crochet Girl Gang Blanket

GrHATitude
Pattern: Tied Knots by Justyna Lorkowska
Yarn: Madeline Tosh DK in Earl Grey

I've done the first pattern repeat and I continue to adore the  German Twisted Cast On! With any leftovers, I'd like to make the Alfalfa Hat by Kate Gagnon Osborn.

Find Your House
Pattern: Find Your Fade by Andrea Mowry
Yarn: Various. First colour is Old Maiden Aunt Superwash Merino/Nylon/Sparkle 4-ply in 'Bluebells'

I've finally started the second lace section! Not without issues - but woohoo!

This week I was lucky enough to receive two beautiful parcels. The first was from OddKnits Adventures, who wanted me to test drive one of her project bags. She also included a narwhale card (I love narwhales!), hand-drawn by her friend Gemma Keith, which will be going up on the wall in our flat. She also sent me some minis from her Stranded Dyeworks collection - Flamingo Legs, Fright Night and Bonanza!

The second parcel was from Clara of Studio C Yarn, who sent a stunning skein of yarn for the Best Year Ever KAL prize drawer. It's magical, I'm super jealous of whoever wins it! But Clara was incredibly generous and sent me a gift too (thank you!). If you like my beautiful wildflower project bag, you can find a couple more in Clara's shop.


KNIT & NATTER

I wanted to share some thoughts on looking back this week. A couple of years ago, I used a lot of natural beauty products, most of which I made for myself at home. I was also obsessed with yoga and would get on my mat 5-7 times a week.

That got lost during the rough time I had in 2016, but it's now something that I'm happily returning too. I'm using coconut oil as a moisturiser again and am making my own oil cleanser for my face.

(I do use modern medicine too though - anti-histamines, asthma pumps and painkillers for the win!)

I preordered Namaslay by Candace Moore ages ago and forgot that I had it. I love her YouTube channel and I have her Sweat DVD (sadly packed away!) and I'm excited to read this and revisit my yoga practice. Being office bound, it feels very necessary for my tight hips and back!

I hope you can find some time this week to revisit some things that you used to love. In the spirit of the Best Year Ever KAL - I hope you find something that brings you joy :)

I'll see you next week for another cup of tea! Have a great week :)

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nikki, thanks for the natter section in your Podcast, I so identify with the topics and I love the prompts to reflect. Thank you for that!

    ReplyDelete